The first step before starting a soccer match is to do the initial configuration setup. Sometimes it can take some time to adjust preferences but after reading this manual, you will be able to change PES 2020 settings for platforms PC, Xbox, and Playstation. We will look at the best and advanced configuration for areas like online, match game plan, language, camera or network available in the game menu or using setting.exe file which is used mostly by Steam users. After all these steps, you can fully enjoy better gameplay, pick your favorite football team and choose from a variety of Pro Evolution Soccer game modes.
The initial installation process for PC, Xbox, and Playstation
In order to start the game, players need an official release purchase which depends on platforms they prefer and want to play the PES. For Xbox One owners, there is a popular Microsoft Store, PSN – Playstation network for PS4 and Steam for PC players. If you have any issues, you need to check platform-specific setup to install and run Pro Evolution Soccer 2020, also named as eFootball. In this article, we will cover more detailed PC – Windows specification.
Steam users can view installed game in the library and after right-click open “properties”. In the general tab, there is information about homepage, developer and online link to the manual if it’s already provided. You can allow or disallow overlay, set launch options or create a desktop shortcut. By default, global input settings are chosen and automatic updates are turned on. If you have a beta access code, you can opt into on the last tab. The installation folder can be found via the local files tab with options to fix issues that will be covered later.
Two easy steps to change PC settings using settings.exe file
The first step is to locate the settings.exe file which can be found in the game installation folder. Browse local files mentioned before or check paths C://Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/, C://Program Files (x86)//Konami/Pro Evolution Soccer 2020 or eFootball alternative name.
If there are no files, try opening Program files (x64) under your main partition on hard-drive. What to do if the file does not exist? It’s possible to download from the internet which is not fully recommended because of possible malware infection and it’s not guaranteed that the downloaded settings.exe file will work. The best option is to reinstall the Pro Evolution Soccer or check files integrity in Steam properties.
What’s the second step? Just open the file. It was really easy, wasn’t it? The actual version takes some time to load, so please, wait a few seconds. At the first screen, you can found options to set screen mode (windowed – full screen), game resolution, frame-rate for in-game and replays which can be locked to 30 FPS or 60 FPS (frames per second) and a possibility to choose HDR (Hight dynamic resolution) graphics.
On the next tab, you can change PC keyboard controls or console controller. The audio tab allows you to test your sound device, change buffer or properties. If you also play online, check UDP ports, customize P2P (peer-to-peer) option or enable voice chat for in-game matches.
Specifications show information about your PC hardware with minimum and recommended system requirements. In case there are warning symbols like “bad” label, your hardware doesn’t meet these specs so you can experience a smaller number of FPS during the game.
The first configuration after starting eFootball 2020
If you run the eFotball 2020 for the first time, there are some dialogs that need to be reviewed. One of them is controller preferences which offer standard and alternate settings. The difference is between RB, RT dash and shoot button which can be assigned to B or X. In this situation, the Xbox One controller is used as a model. Players have also a possibility to use custom button configuration for shooting, passing, lofted pass, sliding tackle, through pass or other actions.
The brightness level will ensure good screen visibility depending on your room light conditions. If you play in a much more sunny environment, bring the brightness to the higher levels. The lower levels can make better for your eyes a little bit on the other side.
Customize game plan settings before match
After the game mode selection, like the local match, players can access game plan which contains preset tactics, team sheet with position edit, player settings, general options and option to save setup into your personal profile.
In the player’s tab, you can change captain, long FK Taker, Short FK Taker or set secondary players to these positions. You can choose players who join attack or mark opponent players so your defenders will keep an eye on them. The team sheet allows you to change the basic position and change players in the roster. The auto-select lineup can be applied using the right stick or you can view information about the currently selected player and see his abilities.
Team formation can be changed from a variety of options. For example, form default 4-3-3 to 4-5-1. You can set also dynamic formation, better said, multiple different formations for kickoff, during possession and when you play without a ball – out of possession.
A nice feature is the possibility to set different instructions. Like attacking style, which can be based more on slower possession or quick counter-attack. Build-up play affects the way how you get more forward, through the center of the pitch or more widely using sides. Positioning corresponds to your sheet setup but It can be set to the more free option.
Defensive presets offer styles on how to pressure an opponent when you play without a ball, containment area and level of pressure. The last preference is defensive line level on the pitch. Every setting is also shown in its own nice graphic example. It just depends on your play style.
The stadium can be changed before starting the match and features like day time, season or weather with an option like a length of grass and field conditions are really nice so every football match doesn’t look the same and boring after some time.
Instructions can be set for attacking and defensive style. There are multiple options with examples.
- Anchoring – Selected player is restricted from drifting out of position horizontally. For example, your center forward will keep to a central position, and your wingers will not stray inside.
- False winger – Wingers (or wide midfielders when no wingers are present) who stray from their traditional wide positions to play more centrally. When a false winger comes inside, the fullback on the same side will move into advanced positions.
- Defensive – Designated players will refrain from pushing forward in attack.
- Hug the sideline – Players om both flanks stay close to the sideline. This means that even if the ball is on the other side of the field, the player on the flank will stay wide.
- Attacking fullbacks – Both fullbacks will surge forward, while midfielders drop back to cover them. As the fullbacks push forward, wingers will move towards the middle.
- Wing rotation – When a player is in the possession of the ball on the wing, a teammate will head to the sideline to give him passing options. Other teammates will then run into the space that has been created.
- Tiki-taka – The priority is to keep passing the ball. Players take up positions to enable possession to be retained. Players will tend not to try to dash into the space behind the opponent’s defense.
- False No. 9 – The striker will frequently drop into the hole to collect passes. As he comes back for the ball, his teammates will push forward to fill the space he has created.
- Centering targets – The aim is a score from crosses. When a player on the wing has possession, forwards will get into position in front of the goal and wait for the cross.
- False fullbacks – The fullbacks stray from their traditional positions and push into the center. This gives the teams numbers in them middle of the field.
- Wingback – Wide midfielders or wingers who drop back to cover defensively when needed.
- Tight marking – Certain players will be marked much tighter than usual, with the marker switching depending on the position. Space tends to open up as players track the opposing player there are marking.
- Deep defensive line – The defending teams drop back to guard against through balls, leaving more space between individual players and the opponent they are marking. As players are no longer tightly marked, it makes it easier to make ground passes.
- Swarm the box – When the opponent is pushing forward up the wing, players will group in front of goal. As players are bunched near the goal, it becomes easier for the attacking team to shoot from far away.
- Counter target – Certain forwards stay in the vicinity of the opposition’s box, rather than dropping back to help the defense. Is means that these forwards do not use up energy running back and forth.
- Gegenpress – When a team loses possession, it immediately tries to win it back with multiple players pressuring the player with the ball. It demands a lot of stamina.
In this section, you can change the general and match pes 2020 settings. Match level difficulty can be set, match time, overtime or penalty kicks to on/off, the maximum number of substitutions, team condition for home and away team, injuries or ball type.
Match screen settings can change radar appearance, player nameplate, colors for radar dots, power gauge, display cursor, stamina gauge, time/score, display opposing player names, cursor type and set-piece guides when you move with player, which can be helpful especially for beginners.
In the audio settings, you can change menu sounds, music and crowd volume, PA announcement volume, stadium music, and field sounds.
You can access this screen during the match or in the main menu with other options like edit, online settings, and other options.
How to fix issues when something is not working
Most of the time, there are similar errors and issues which can be sometimes easily fixed. If you experience any in-game bug, try contacting Konami support or keep your game updated with the latest patches. In case of program freezes or messages like “the program has stopped working”, try reinstalling the eFootball – PES 2020 or check hardware specifications.
If you don’t meet hardware requirements, check if the integrated graphics card is not set as your default in Windows – Nvidia control panel. Also, when playing on a laptop, there can be some performance boost when not playing on battery and using power save mode which can affects your processor clock speed.
Problems with msvcp140.dll and similar libraries mean your PC is missing some drivers or other software installation. In this case of an error message, you can fix it by installing the correct DirectX version or on some other cases c++ redistributable package.
Online issues can be solved by adjusting settings in the exe file or game menu. If you have a problem with a connection, your selected UDP ports can be blocked by your internet provider. The resolution to this problem is to change the numbers. In the case of lags, check your internet speed and quality (ping) change online settings, network connection restrictions, which will make the game to choose opponents with a reliable connection similar to yours. Lags in PES 2020 can be also caused by Konami servers, check for their status or scheduled maintenance.